Astwick is an Ancient Parish in the county of Bedfordshire.
Parish church: St Guthlac
Parish registers begin: 1564
Status: Civil Parish and Ancient Parish succeeded by Astwick Ecclesiastical Parish.
Parishes adjacent to Astwick
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ASTWICK, a parish in Biggleswade district, Beds; on the river Ivel, 2½ miles ENE of Arlesey r. station, and 4 N by W of Baldock. Post Town, Arlesey under Baldock. Acres, 570. Real property, £1,117. Pop., 64. Houses, 14. The property is not much divided. The living is a rectory annexed to the vicarage of Arlesey, in the diocese of Ely. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Astwick, 4 m. S. E. Biggleswade. P. 84
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
Astwick, a parish in the hund. and union of Biggleswade, county of Bedford; 5 miles south-south-east from Biggleswade. Living, a rectory formerly in the archd. of Bedford and dio. of Lincoln, now in the dio. of Ely; rated at £6 13s. 4d., and in connection with the vicarage of Arlsey. Great and small tithes, the property of the clerical rector, commuted in 1804. Pop., in 1801, 81 ; in 1831, 97. Houses 14. Acres 570. A. P. £711. Poor rates, in 1837, £46
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Astwick, co. Bedford.
P. T. Biggleswade (45) 5 m. SSE. Pop. 99.
A parish in the hundred of Biggleswade; living, a rectory, with Arlesey, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln; charged in K. B. 6l. 13s. 4d.; church ded. to St. Guthlake; patronage with Arlesey vicarage.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Astwick Schools 1818
1818 Digest of Returns to Circular Letter from the Select Committee on Education of the Poor, &c.
Schools – None.
Sunday Schools – None.
Observations – The poorer classes are desirous of having the means of education.
Notes – Return signed by J. Atkinson, rector.
Photographs of Astwick
Until 1894, Astwick was administered as part of the Hundred of Biggleswade. From 1894 until 1974 it was in Biggleswade Rural District and from 1974 to 2009 in Mid Bedfordshire District.
- County: Bedfordshire
- Civil Registration District: Biggleswade
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Bedford
- Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
- Rural Deanery: Shefford
- Poor Law Union: Biggleswade
- Hundred: Biggleswade
- Province: Canterbury