Arlesey is an Ancient Parish in the county of Bedfordshire.
Alternative names: Arlsey
Parish church: St. Peter
Parish registers begin: 1538
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Arlesey
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ARLESEY, Arlsey, or Arsley, a village and a parish in Biggleswade district, Beds. The village stands on the river Hiz, a little E of the Great Northern railway, 4 miles ESE of Shefford; and it has a station on the railway, and a post office under Baldock, and was formerly a market-town. The parish comprises 2,370 acres. Real property, £5,357. Pop., 1,401. Houses, 270. The property is divided among a few. An ancient castle stood at Etonbury, near the road to Baldock; and appears, from an entrenchment which still remains, to have been a place of considerable strength. The living is a vicarage, united with Astwick rectory, in the diocese of Ely. Value, £420. Patron, James Curtis, Esq. The church is a plain edifice; was recently fitted with new benches; and contains some ancient monuments. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and extensive brickworks.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Arlsey, 26½ m. S.E. Shefford. P. 820
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
Arlsey, a parish in the hund. of Clifton, union of Biggleswade, county of Bedford; 4 miles north west of Baldock. Living, a discharged vicarage united to the rectory of Astwick, formerly in the archd. of Bedford and dio. of Lincoln, now in the dio. of Ely; rated at £8; gross income £300. Patron, in 1835, F. Gapte. There are two Sunday schools in the parish. The great and small tithes, the property of the lord of the manor and the vicar, were commuted in 1804. Pop., in 1801, 404; in 1831, 688. Houses 126. Acres 2,370. A. P. £3,203. Poor rates, in 1837, £248.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Arlsey, co. Bedford.
P. T. Baldock. (37) 4 m. NW. Pop. 562.
A parish in the hundred of Clifton; living, a discharged vicarage, united to the rectory of Astwick, in the archdeaconry of Bedford and diocese of Lincoln; charged in K. B. 8l.; church ded. to St. Peter; patron (1829) R. Houston, Esq.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831
Arlsey, a parish in the hundred of Clifton, county of Bedford, 4¾ miles (N.W. by W.) from Baldock, containing 562 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, united with the rectory of Astwick, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln rated in the king’s books at £8. R. Houston, Esq. was patron in 1824. The church is dedicated to St. Peter.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831
Arlesey Schools 1818
Schools – none
Sunday Schools – A Sunday school, established and supported by Sir John Jackson, containing about 37 boys and 30 girls.
Observations – The poor are desirous of having the means of education.
Notes – Return signed by J. Atkinson, vicar.
Source: 1818 Digest of Returns to Circular Letter from the Select Committee on Education of the Poor, &c.
Parish register printouts of Arlesey, Bedford, England ; christenings, 1736-1878 – Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Genealogical Department
Parish register printouts of Arlesey, Bedford, England ; marriages, 1736-1837 – Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Genealogical Department
Parish register printouts of Arlesey, Bedford, England, christenings, 1538-1735 – Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Genealogical Department
Arlesey : the history of a village – ; Catcheside, Paul
Court records, 1377-1890 – Manor of Arleseybury. Court (Bedfordshire)
Poorhouses & Poor Law
School log books, 1864-1927 – Arlesey Board School
Arlesey Kellys Bedfordshire Directory 1869
Arlsey is a village, parish, and station on the Great Northern Railway, 37 miles from London, 12 south-east from Bedford, 4 south from Biggleswade, and 5 north from Hitchin, in the hundred of Clifton, union and county court district of Biggleswade, rural deanery of Shefford, archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Ely. The church of St. Peter is a plain stone structure, and is fitted with open benches: it contains several fine marble monuments; those in the body of the church, of the Browne and Edwards families, are of very ancient date: the chancel contains the vault of the Jackson family. The register dates from the year 1538.
The living is a vicarage, with the rectory of Astwick annexed, joint yearly value £450, with residence, in the gift of, and held by, the Rev. Richard Folliott Scott, M.A., of Emmanuel College, Cambridge. There is a National school, and a Wesjeyan chapel. Here are extensive brick works, carried on by Mr. R. Beart, of Godmanchester, and the Great Northern Company, where large quantities of perforated white bricks and draining tiles are made, affording considerable employment in the neighbourhood. Tbe chief landowners are Sir Glynne Earle Welby-Gregory, Bart., and Samuel Bedford Edwards, Esq., who is lord of the manor. The soil is strong clay; subsoil, clay;. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans and peas. The population in 1861 was 1,401, the area is 2,303 acres.
Parish Clerk, Joseph Devereux.
Letters received through Baldock. Shefford is the nearest money order office
National School, Joseph Allison, master
Railway Station, David Watts, station master; station master at Arlsey Siding, Philip Walters
Edwards Saml. Bedford, esq. Arlsey Bury
Henderson Rev. William Lawes, M. A. [curate]
Scott Rev. Richard Folliott, M.A. The Vicarage
Albone George, beer retailer
Albone William, beer retailer
Allen Ambrose, beer retailer
Beacher Thomas, shopkeeper
Beart Robert, brick maker; & at Godmancbester
Bennett James, beer retailer
Boothey John, Brick Ground inn
Brittain Joseph, builder
Cartwright George, beer retailer
Cartwright James, beer retailer
Clark David, poulterer
Cox James, beer retailer
Davies Elizabeth (Mrs.), farmer
Davies Joseph Crout, builder
Day William, tailor
Dennis William, brick maker
Fletcher John, shopkeeper
Folbigg Simon, shopkeeper
Great Northern Brick Co. (John Philip Hawkes, manager)
Hall Harriet, beer retailer
Hare Frederick, baker
Hawkes George, thrashing machine proprietor & farmer
Hildred Henry, Lamb
Hill Arabella (Mrs.), White Horse
Hyde Charles, Old Oak
Jeeves Offspring, beer retailer
Johnson Robert, beer retailer
King Samuel, butcher
Kirby Geo. beer retailer & shopkeeper
Kitchiner George, butcher
Kitchiner John, baker
Leng Henry Thomas, plumber& glazier
Levitt Frederick, shopkeeper
Levitt William, beer retailer
Maxey Thomas, Prince of Wales
Pack Thomas, tailor
Payne William, baker
Pike Henry, beer retailer
Prutton William, beer retailer
Purser Charles, farmer, The Chase farm
Samuel William, Cricketers
Stalby George, beer retailer
Stamford George, butcher
Street Joseph, farmer
Tasker William, shopkeeper
Thornaby Thomas, beer retailer
Toller Cliristopher, farmr. Waterloo farm
Trustram James, farmer
Tufnail Joseph, blacksmith
Webb Mary (Mrs.), beer retailer
Webb William, shopkeeper
Winters Amos, beer retailer
Winters Mary (Mrs.), farmer
Source: Post Office Directory of Northamptonshire, Huntingdonshire, Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire and Oxfordshire. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 51, Great Queen Street, Lincoln’s Inn Fields, London; 1869.
Directories Available online
Bedfordshire Archives & Family History Groups
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Bedfordshire
- Civil Registration District: Biggleswade
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Bedford
- Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
- Rural Deanery: Shefford
- Poor Law Union: Biggleswade
- Hundred: Clifton
- Province: Canterbury