Bedfordshire is bounded, North by Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire, East by Hertfordshire and Cambridgeshire, South by Buckinghamshire and Hertfordshire, and West by Buckinghamshire. It is of an oval form, about 34 miles long and 19 broad. The area is 463 square miles, or 295,320 statute acres. Rivers, the Ouse, and the Ivel. This county is in the Province or Canterbury, in the Diocese or Lincoln, and in the Norfolk Circuit. — It is divided into nine hundreds; namely, Barford, Biggleswade, Clifton, Flitt, Manshead, Redbornstoke, Stodden, Willey, Wixamtree. There are 131 Parishes and Townships, and 10 Market Towns. population, 107,936.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
Index of Articles for Bedfordshire
Arlsey [sic] is a village, parish, and station on the Great Northern Railway, 37 miles from London, 12 south-east from Bedford, 4 south from Biggleswade, and 5 north from Hitchin, in the hundred of Clifton, union and county court district of Biggleswade, rural deanery of Shefford, archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Ely. The church of St. Peter is a plain stone structure, and is fitted with open benches: it contains several fine marble monuments; those in the body of the church, of the Browne and Edwards families, are of very ancient date: the chancel contains the vault of the Jackson family. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a vicarage, with the rectory of Astwick annexed, joint yearly value £450, with residence, in the gift of, and held by, the Rev. Richard Folliott Scott, M.A., of Emmanuel College, Cambridge. There is a National school, and a Wesjeyan chapel. Here are extensive brick works, carried on by Mr. R. Beart, of Godmanchester, and the Great Northern Company, where large quantities of perforated white bricks and draining tiles are made, affording considerable employment in the neighbourhood. Tbe chief landowners are Sir Glynne Earle Welby-Gregory, Bart., and Samuel Bedford Edwards, Esq., who is lord of the manor. The soil is strong clay; subsoil, clay;. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans and peas. The population in 1861 was 1,401, the area is 2,303 acres. Continue reading “Arlesey Kellys Bedfordshire Directory 1869”
A parish in the hundred of Clifton; living, a discharged vicarage, united to the rectory of Astwick, in the archdeaconry of Bedford and diocese of Lincoln; charged in K. B. 8l.; church ded. to St. Peter; patron (1829) R. Houston, Esq.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.