Aldworth is a village and parish, 13 miles west from Reading, and 47 from London, in the hundred of Compton, union and county court district of Wantage, rural deanery of Walllngford, archdeaconry of Reading, and diocese of Oxford. The church of St. Peter is an ancient fabric of Mixed Gothic architecture, with tower, nave, south aisle and chancel: the interior contains several monuments, on which lie effigies of the family of De La Beche, which is supposed to have come over to England with William the Norman, and some of whom have been buried in this church: these figures, nine in number, were very much mutilated in Oliver Cromwell’s time: the foundation of a castle was laid by this family in the neighbourhood, upon the site of which now stands a farm-house: in the churchyard is a very ancient yew tree, which measures nine and a half yards round the trunk, and is supposed to be older than the church. The living is a vicarage, annual value £450, with residence, in the gift of St. John’s Collage, Cambridge, and held by the Rev. Francis L. Lloyd, B.D., of that college. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel here. J. B. Monck, Esq., is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is chalk and clay; subsoil, chiefly chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley and roots. The population in 1861 was 275; the area in acres is under 2,000.
Parish Clerk, Joseph Johnson.
Letters from Reading, via Pangbourne; the latter is the nearest money order office
Parish School, Miss Emma Davies, mistress
Lloyd Rev. Francis L. B.D. [vicar]
Belcher John, shopkeeper
Hammond John B. farmer
Hammond Richard B. farmer
Hunt James, wheelwright
Hunt Sarah (Mrs.), Bell inn
Johnson Joseph, cooper
Josey Charles, grocer & beer retailer
Robins James, farmer
Rowle Charles, farmer
White Charles (Mrs.), beer retailer
White John, blacksmith
Source: Post Office Directory of Northamptonshire, Huntingdonshire, Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire and Oxfordshire; E. R. Kelly; Kelly & Co., London. 1869.