Little Birch Cassey Directory of Herefordshire 1858

Little Birch is a parish and village, situated in a valley, containing 900 acres, which are applied chiefly to the purposes of arable, pasture, and meadow, being distant 6 ½ miles south from Hereford and 7 ½ north-west from Ross, and is in the Hundred of Wormelow, Hereford Union, archdeaconry and bishopric, and Irchenfield deanery.  The church, recently rebuilt, consists of nave, chancel, and handsome square tower containing 2 bells.  The architecture of this edifice is in a modern style.  The living is a rectory, valued at £170 yearly, and in the gift of the Rev. Stephen Thackwell, the rector.  The population in 1851 was 402; the rateable value being £1,099.  This parish, lying on the right of the turnpike road leading from Hereford to Ross by Hoarwithy, has a school for boys and girls.  Sir Hungerford Hoskyns, of Harewood, is lord of the manor.  The soil is loamy; the subsoil is rockstone.
Letters through Much Birch.  The nearest money order office is at Hereford.

Miscellaneous
Davies George, tailor
Gunter Benjamin, stonemason, Wallspool
Jones James, stonemason and parish clerk
Layton Thomas, Castle Inn
McMullen John, innkeeper
Matthews Charles, Little Castle Inn
Morris Thomas, carpenter
Preece John, master of National school
Thackwell Rev. S., rector
Williams Thomas, cooper
Watkins Peter, carpenter
Willett William, farmer and carpenter

Farmers
Bullen William
Davies William, Well orchard
Green William, the Green
Jones William, Castle hill
Lawrence John, Church farm
Mutlow Michael
Payne William, New mills
Powell John, Lower house
Powell Thomas, Wallspool
Stallard John
Tyler Henry
Wheeler Sarah, Sunny bank
Watkins Benjamin, Bromley
Willett William, (& carpenter)

Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.