This useful and excellent market has a front in High Street and in Worcester Street, and it occupies the whole length of Philip Street and Bell Street. It was opened on February 12th, 1835. The Hall covers an area of 39,411 square feet; it is 365 feet long, 108 feet wide, and 60 feet high, and has accommodation for more than 600 stalls. Its cost was upwards of £67,000.
At the corner of Bell Street is the Fish Market; the Meat Market is in Jamaica Row; the Cattle, Sheep, Horse, and Hay Markets are held just below, in Smithfield, once the residence of the great Birmingham family. The large covered market here has recently been built, and is a great convenience to the town and to the dealers.
Source: The Foresters’ Guide to Birmingham and Its Neighbourhood. Presented by the Demonstration Committee to the Delegates In High Court Meeting, Assembled in Birmingham, August, 1883.Specially Prepared For the Occasion by John Alfred Langford, LL.D; F.R.H.S. Birmingham: James Upton, Baskerville Printing Works, Great Charles Street. 1883