Ham is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Surrey, created in 1834 from Kingston upon Thames Ecclesiastical Parish.
Alternative names: Ham with Hatch, Ham St Andrew
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1832
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1832
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HAM, a hamlet and a chapelry in Kingston-on-Thames parish, Surrey. The hamlet is joined to Hatch, under the name of Ham-with-Hatch; lies on the Thames, near Richmond Park, nearly opposite Twickenham r. station, and 2 miles N of Kingston-on-Thames; and has a post office, of the name of Ham, under Petersham, London S. W., and a fair on 2, 30, and 31 May. Real property, £6,993. Pop. in 1851, 1,324; in 1861, 1,420. Houses, 249. The property is not much divided. Ham House stands on low ground, close to the river; was built, in 1610, by Sir Thomas Vavasor; has, over the principal entrance, the words “Vivat Rex;” was bought, 15 years after its erection, by the first Earl of Dysart; was the retreat of James II., before he escaped to France; continues to be little or none altered from its original condition; contains much antique furniture, a richly carved oak staircase, many interesting portraits and valuable pictures; includes the famous Duchess of Lauderdale’s apartments, nearly as when she occupied them; and stands amid grounds with many fine old trees, and with a colossal statue representing the Thames. The National orphan home was established, on Ham Common, in 1849; was rebuilt, on a new site there, in 1862; is a brick structure, with stone dressings and with a portico; and contains accommodation for 200 orphan girls. There are a brewery and market gardens. The chapelry is less extensive than the hamlet, and was constituted in 1834. Pop. in 1861, 1,265. Houses, 221. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £101. Patron, the Vicar of Kingston. The church stands on the common; was built in 1832; and consists of nave, aisle, and chancel. The p. curacy of Robinhood Gate is a separate benefice. There is a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Kingston
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Rural Deanery: Ewell
Poor Law Union: Kingston