Wotton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Surrey.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1596
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1587
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WOTTON, a parish and a hundred in Surrey. The parish lies 3¼ miles WSW of Dorking r. station, includes part of Oakwood chapelry, and is in Dorking district. Post town, Dorking. Acres, 4,176. Real property, £3,955. Pop., 823. Houses, 159. The manor, with W. House, belongs to W. J. Evelyn, Esq. Tanhurst is the residence of Sir E. V. Williams; Jayes Park, of L. Steere, Esq.; and Portnells, of W. Nicholson, Esq. Leith Hill is here, and has been separately noticed. There are brick, tile, and pottery-works. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £548. Patron, W. J. Evelyn, Esq. The church was recently repaired. Charities, £55. J. Evelyn, the author of “Sylva,” was a native. The hundred contains 5 parishes. Acres, 29,542. Pop., 10,483. Houses, 1,989.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Dorking
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Rural Deanery: Stoke
Poor Law Union: Dorking