Chipstead is an Ancient Parish in the county of Surrey.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1656
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1679
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CHIPSTEAD, a parish in Reigate district, Surrey; on the Brighton railway, 2 miles N of Merstham r. station, and 5 NNE of Reigate. It has a post office under Red Hill. Acres, 2,333. Real property, £2,592. Pop., 541. Houses, 110. The property is divided among a few. Pirbright is the seat of Rasch, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £431. Patron, Col. Hylton Jolliffe. The church ranges from early Norman to perpendicular English; has a low central tower; stands on a conspicuous site; was recently well restored; and contains mementos of the Stephenses, the eldest daughter of Hooker, author of the “Ecclesiastical Polity, ” and Sir Edward Banks, the architect. An endowed school has £70 a year.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Reigate
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Rural Deanery: Ewell
Poor Law Union: Reigate