Burstow is an Ancient Parish in the county of Surrey.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1547
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1799
Nonconformists include: Baptist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BURSTOW, a parish in Reigate district, Surrey; 2¼ miles SE of Horley r. station, and 7½ SE by S of Reigate. It has a post office under Crawley. Acres, 4,717. Real property, £4,265. Pop., 927. Houses, 151. The property is subdivided. Burstow Lodge, formerly called Coultings, and now a farmhouse, was the seat of the Burstows, and passed to the Byshes. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £511. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is early English and good. There is a Baptist chapel. Flamstead, the first astronomer royal, was rector.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Reigate
Probate Court: Pre-1846 – Court of the Peculiar of the Archbishop of Canterbury in the Deaneries of the Arches, Croydon, and Shoreham, Post-1845 – Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 – Croydon, Post-1844 – Ewell
Poor Law Union: Reigate