Albury is an Ancient Parish in the county of Surrey.
Alternative names: Aldbury, Alderbury
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1559
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1692
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ALBURY, Aldbury, or Alderbury, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict in the district of Guildford, Surrey. The village stands on a tributary of the river Wey, under the north downs, 1 mile N of Gomshall and Sheire r. station, and 5 ESE of Guildford; and has post office under Guildford. The new parish church at it is an edifice of red brick, in the Norman style, after the model of a church at Caen. The author of “Proverbial Philosophy” resided at the village. The adjacent country abounds in charming walks and rides; and a spot, called Newland’s Corner, commands a most extensive view. The parish comprises 4,503 acres. Real property, £4,905. Pop., 1,041. Houses, 199. Albury state belongs to Earl Percy; belonged previously, from 1819, to H. Drummond, Esq.; and belonged previously to the Finches and the Howards. The grounds of its park possess interesting artificial features; some derived from Henry Howard, afterwards Duke of Norfolk; others mentioned in the book of Domesday. The mansion has been modernized from designs by Pugin. The old parish church, in Early Norman, with a tower, adjoins the mansion. The cathedral of the Catholic Apostolic church, a cruciform edifice in the perpendicular style, built by Mr. Drummond at a cost of £10,000, stands in the park. The living of Albury is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £600. Patron, the Duke of Northumberland. Charities, £31. The subdistrict comprises seven parishes. Acres, 19,760. Pop., 4,453. Houses, 892.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Albury, or Alderbury, a parish in the hund. of Blackheath, union of Guildford, county of Surrey; 5 miles south-east of Guildford. Living, a rectory in the archd. of Surrey and dio. of Winchester; rated at £17 12s. 8½d.; gross income £430. Patron, in 1835, H. Drummond, Esq. There are also two National schools here. The sum of £17 has been bequeathed by various individuals to the poor of this parish; £5 are given for the education of 12 poor children, and £15 are employed in apprenticing the children of poor people. Pop., in 1801, 510; in 1831, 929. Houses 163. Acres 4,920. A. P. £3,241. Poor rates, in 1837, £607.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Civil Registration District: Guildford
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Rural Deanery: Stoke
Poor Law Union: Guildford
Hundred: Blackheath (Surrey)