Alfold is an Ancient Parish partly in Surrey and partly in Sussex.
Alternative names: Aldfold, Awfold
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers:
- Bishop’s Transcripts:
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ALFOLD, Aldfold, or Awfold, a parish in the district of Hambledon, and counties of Surrey and Sussex; on the Wey and Arundel canal, 6½ miles SE of Witley r. station, and 8 SSE of Godalming. It has a post office under Horsham. Acres, 2,883. Real property, £1,970. Pop., 535. Houses, 96. Much of the surface is wood land; and little yields any grain but oats. Several French refugees from the massacre on St. Bartholomew’s day settled here, and erected a glass manufactory. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £205. Patron, the Rev. L. W. Elliott. The church is Norman.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Hambledon
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Rural Deanery: Stoke
Poor Law Union: Hambledon
Hundred: Blackheath (Surrey)