Hemsworth is an Ancient Parish in the county of Yorkshire.
Other places in the parish include: Little Hemsworth.
Riding: West Riding
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1654
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1601
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HEMSWORTH, a village, a parish, and a district in W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands adjacent to the Wakefield and Doncaster railway, 7¾ miles SE of Wakefield; is well built and large; and has a post office under Pontefract, a r. station, a working men’s reading-room, a church, three dissenting chapels, a well endowed hospital, a free grammar school, a national school, and a workhouse. The reading room is a recent and handsome edifice, and contains a well selected library. The church is later English; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with porch and tower; and contains a font and a few ancient monuments. The hospital was founded in 1555, by Archbishop Holgate; has now a new building, and an endowed income of £3,200; and devotes one-fifth of that income to a master, and the rest to twenty men and twenty women. The grammar school was founded in 1546, also by Archbishop Holgate, who was a native; and it now has an endowed income of about £400. Other charities have £15. The workhouse is recent; and was erected in consequence of the separation of Hemsworth district from that of Pontefract. The parish contains also Little Hemsworth hamlet, ½ a mile E of the village, and comprises 4,120 acres. Real property, £7,487. Pop., 975. Houses, 214. The property is chiefly divided among five. Hemsworth Hall was the birthplace of the Right Hon. Sir Charles Wood, and his residence till 1830; and is now the seat of W. H. Leatham, Esq. Newstead Hall is the seat of the Rev. Peter Jackson. Building stone is quarried; bricks are made; and there is a steam corn mill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £880. Patron, W. B. Wrightson, Esq. The district contains also the parishes of Ackworth, Wragby, Felkirk, Badsworth, Kirk-Smeaton, and South Kirby, two townships of Womersley, two of Darfield, and the extra-parochial tract of Foulby, Nostell, and Huntwick. Acres, 33,870. Poor rates in 1863, £4,026. Pop. in 1851, 8,158; in 1861, 7,793. Houses, 1,657. Marriages in 1862, 39; births, 238, of which 17 were illegitimate; deaths, 154, of which 34 were at ages under 5 years, and 7 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 415; births, 2,319; deaths, 1,292. The places of worship, in 1851, were 10 of the Church of England, with 3,189 sittings; 1 of Quakers, with 850 s.; 18 of Wesleyan Methodists, with 2,296 s.; 7 of Primitive Methodists, with 257 s.; 2 undefined, with 50 s.; and 1 of Roman Catholics, with 70 s. The schools were 18 public day schools, with 1,187 scholars; 17 private day schools, with 305 s.; and 21 Sunday schools, with 1,045 s.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Hemsworth
Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
Rural Deanery: Doncaster
Poor Law Union: Hemsworth