Shilton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Warwickshire, created in 1754 from chapelry in Bulkington Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Barnacle.
Parish church: St Andrew
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1695
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1668
Nonconformists include: Baptist and General Baptist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SHILTON, a village and a parish in Foleshill district, Warwick. The village stands near the Northwestern railway and the Oxford canal, 6 miles SSE of Nuneaton; and has a r. station with telegraph. The parish includes part of Barnacle hamlet; and its Post town is Anstey, under Coventry. Acres, 1,075. Real property, £3,690. Pop., 487. Houses, 118. The property is subdivided. S. House is the seat of W. Spark, Esq. Ribbon-weaving is carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese Worcester. Value, £76. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is of the 14th century. There is a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Foleshill
Probate Court: Pre-1837 – Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1836 – Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Marton
Poor Law Union: Foleshill