Saltley is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Warwickshire, created in 1848 from Aston juxta Birmingham Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Sailtley and Washwood, Saltley and Washwood, Saltley and Washwood Heath
Other places in the parish include: Washwood Heath.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: None
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
- Duddeston cum Nechells
- Bordesley St Andrew
- Bordesley Holy Trinity
- Birmingham Bishop Ryder
- Ward End
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SALTLEY, a village and a chapelry in Aston parish, Warwick. The village stands on the Birmingham and Derby railway, near the Wednesbury canal, 2 miles N E of Birmingham; dates from ancient times; belonged to successively the Earls of Mercia, the Barons of Dudley, and the Rokebys; had a castle built by the Rokebys, and long ago ruinous; has undergone many modern improvements, and much modern extension; possesses a public park of 11 acres, presented by the Right Hon. B. Adderley; is the place of extensive railway -carriage works of the Metropolitan railway Carriage company, of extensive works of the Northwestern railway company, and of the works of the Birmingham and Staffordshire Gas company; and has a post-office under Birmingham, two r. stations, a museum and reading-rooms, a church, and the Worcester, Lichfield, and Hereford diocesan training college. The church was built in 1850, at a cost of about £6,000; and is cruciform, and in the later English style. The college was built in 1850, after designs by Ferrey, at a cost of £17,133; stands on a plot of 7 acres; is a quadrangular structure, in the domestic pointed style of the time of Edward I.; contains dormitories and class-rooms for 112 scholars, a large dining-hall, a large lecture-hall, a residence for the principal, and rooms for other officials; and has numerous scholarships and exhibitions, of value from £3 to £29. A practising school is connected with the college, and attended by about 150 boys. The chapelry contains also the hamlets of Washwood-Heath and Bennetts-Hill; and was constituted in 1848. Real property, £10,282. Pop. in 1851, 1,143; in 1861, 2,842. Houses, 527. The property is much subdivided. The house of Hutton, the historian of Birmingham, is at Bennetts-Hill; and was attacked and damaged during the riots of 1791. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £150. Patron, the Right Hon. B. Adderley.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Aston
Probate Court: Pre-1837 – Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1836 – Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Arden
Poor Law Union: Aston