Preston Bagot is an Ancient Parish in the county of Warwickshire.
Alternative names: Preston Baggott
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1677
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1612
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PRESTON-BAGGOTT, a parish in Stratford-on-Avon district, Warwick; on a branch of the river Alne, and on the Birmingham and Stratford canal, 1¾ mile E of Henley-in-Arden, and 3 W of Hatton r. station. Post-town, Henley-in-Arden, under Birmingham. Acres, 1,302. Real property, £2,232. Pop., 220. Houses, 47. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £385. Patronesses, the Misses Cartwright. The church stands on the tol of a steep hill, and has a small brick turret.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The History Topography and Directory of Warwickshire 1830
Preston Bagot, (in Doomsday written Prestone) a parish in Barlichway hundred, 2 miles from Henley-in-Arden, 7 miles from Stratford-on-Avon, and 101 from London. In 1803, the sum raised by its parochial rates was £351 9s. 9d. at 7s. in the pound. In 1811, its population was 210. In 1821, it contained 44 houses and 319 inhabitants. In 1826, it was valued at £1736, and its proportion to the county rate at £7 4s. 8d. The rectory is valued at £4.
Preston Bagot was, in the Conqueror’s time, the property of the Earl of Mellent, from whom it passed to his brother, Henry de Newburgh, Earl of Warwick, and afterwards sold by William Earl of Warwick, to Ingram Bagot, from whom it derived its name.
Source: The History Topography and Directory of Warwickshire 1830. Wm. West. Printed and Published by R. Wrightson, Athenaeum, New-Street; and sold by Baldwin and Craddock, and Hurst, Chance and Co., London. 1830.
Civil Registration District: Stratford on Avon
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Warwick
Poor Law Union: Stratford on Avon