Keresley with Coundon is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Warwickshire, created in 1848 from Coventry St Michael Ancient Parish and Coventry Holy Trinity Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Keresley,
Other places in the parish include: Coundon and Counden.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1714
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1640
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
KERESLEY, a hamlet and a chapelry in Warwickshire. The hamlet is in Coventry-St. Michael parish; lies near the Coventry and Nuneaton railway, 1½ mile NNW of Coventry; and has a post office under Coventry. Acres, 1,058. Real property, £3,012. Pop., 567. Houses, 118. The manor was given to the monks of Coventry, in the time of Henry III., by Roger de Montalt; and belongs now to Queen’s College, Oxford. The ribbon manufacture is carried on. The chapelry includes also Coundon hamlet in Holy Trinity parish; bears the name of Keresley and Coundon; and was constituted in 1848. Acres, 2,104. Real property, £6,031. Pop., 792. Houses, 170. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £105. Patron, the Bishop of Worcester. The church was built in 1847, at a cost of £3,000; and has a tower and spire. There is a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Foleshill; Meriden
Probate Court: Pre-1837 – Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1836 – Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Coventry
Poor Law Union: Foleshill