Clifton upon Dunsmore is an Ancient Parish in the county of Warwickshire. Newton and Biggin and Brownsover are chapelries of Clifton upon Dunsmore.
Alternative names: Clifton, Clifton on Dunsmore
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers:
- Bishop’s Transcripts:
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CLIFTON-UPON-DUNSMORE, a township and a parish in Rugby district, Warwick. The township lies on the river Avon and the Oxford canal, adjacent to the Northwestern and the Stamford railways, in the vicinity of Watling-street, 2¼ miles ENE of Rugby; and has a post office, of the name of Clifton, under Rugby. Acres, 2,870. Real property, £3,910. Pop., 379. Houses, 93. The parish contains also the townships of Brownsover and Newton-Biggin. Acres, 4,902. Real property, £8,969. Pop., 732. Houses, 169. The property is subdivided. The parish is a meet for the Atherstone hounds. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Brownsover, in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £119. Patron, the Earl of Bradford. The church is early English, in good condition, with an embattled tower; and there are charities £50. Carte, the historian, was a native.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Rugby
Probate Court: Pre-1837 – Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1836 – Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Marton
Poor Law Union: Rugby