Studley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Warwickshire.
Alternative names: Studley with Mappleborough
Other places in the parish include: Mapleborough and Mappleborough.
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1663
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1613
Nonconformists include: Particular Baptist, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.
[su_gmap address=”Studley Warwickshire” zoom=”11″]
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
STUDLEY, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Alcester district, Warwick. The village stands on the river Arrow, 3¾ miles SSE of Redditch r. station; carries on a manufacture of needles, bodkins, and fish-hooks; and has a post-office‡ under Redditch. The parish includes Mapleborough hamlet, and comprises 4,262 acres. Real property, £11,500. Pop., 2,230. Houses, 487. The property is not much divided. S. Castle is the seat of T. Walker, Esq. An Augustinian priory was founded in the time of Henry II.; went, at the dissolution, to Sir E. Knightly; and is now a modernised farmhouse. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £103. Patron, Col. Gooch. The church is ancient but good. A schoolroom at Mapleborough is used as a chapel of ease. There are chapels for Baptists, Wesleyans, and Roman Catholics, a national school, and charities £57. The sub-district contains five parishes and a hamlet. Acres, 12,095. Pop., 4,274. Houses, 909.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The History Topography and Directory of Warwickshire 1830
Studley – a parish and considerable village in Barlichway hundred, on the river Arrow, 4 miles north by west from Alcester. In 1803, the parochial rates were £930 6s. 3d. at 6s. 6d. in the pound. In 1821 it contained 257 houses, and 1338 inhabitants, many of whom are employed in manufacturing needles, fish-hooks, &c. In 1826 it was valued at £7088, and its population to the county rate was £29 10s. 8d. It is a curacy.
Dugdale states that “Within this parish are Mapleborrow, Skilts, Holt, and Padonyne. In the Conqueror’s time, the greater part was possessed by William fil Corbucionis whereunto belonged a furnace, yielding annually nineteen horse-loads of salt, and a wood extending to one mile in length, and half as much in breadth, all of which were value at £5” A priory was founded, by Peter Corbicon, (generally called Peter de Studley, from residing here) for canons regular of St. Augustus’s order. In the church are interred several of the Knottesford family, of whom we shall Speak in our account of Stratford-upon-Avon.
Source: The History Topography and Directory of Warwickshire 1830. Wm. West. Printed and Published by R. Wrightson, Athenaeum, New-Street; and sold by Baldwin and Craddock, and Hurst, Chance and Co., London. 1830.
Marriages Out of Parish
Below is a list of people who were from Studley but who were married in another parish.
William Claybrooke, of Studley, Warwickshire, & Mary Phillips, of the same parish 1 Dec. 1780 at North & Middle Littleton, Worcestershire.
Land and property
Poorhouses, poor law, etc.
Civil Registration District: Alcester
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Warwick
Poor Law Union: Alcester