Status: Ancient Parish
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1604
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1662
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist
- Lower Shuckburgh
- Leamington Hastings
- Upper Shuckburgh
- Priors Marston
- Priors Hardwick
[su_gmap address=”Napton on the Hill Warwickshire” zoom=”11″]
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
NAPTON-ON-THE-HILL, a village and a parish in Southam district, Warwick. The village stands on an eminence, adjacent to the Oxford canal, 1 mile SW by S of that canal’s junction with the Warwick and Napton canal, 3 E of Southam, and 5 E by N of Southam-Road r. station; is a pleasant place, commanding extensive views; was once a market-town; and has a post-office, of the name of Napton, under Rugby. The parish comprises 4,140 acres. Real property, £8,157. Pop., 978. Houses, 224. The property is much subdivided; but much of it belongs to Sir F. Shuckburgh, Bart., and to Warwick hospital. A large reservoir of the Oxford canal is here. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £450. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is early English; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and was completely restored in 1861. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, a national school, and charities £45.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Church records – Indexes
Land and property
Poorhouses, poor law, etc.
Civil Registration District: Southam
Probate Court: Pre-1837 – Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1836 – Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Marton
Poor Law Union: Southam