Alverdiscott is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Alternative names: Alscott
Other places in the parish include: Bulworthy.
Parish church: All Saints
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1602
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1607
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
[su_gmap address=”Alverdiscott, Devon” zoom=”11″]
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ALVERDISCOTT, or Alscott, a parish in Torrington district, Devon; 4 miles SE of Instow r. station, and 5 E of Bideford. Post Town, Newton-Tracy under Barnstaple. Acres, 2,273. Real property, £1,870. Pop., 336. Houses, 64. The property is not much divided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £183. Patrons, Rev. E. Sturges, Rev. W. H. Bond, and H. Gibson, Esq. The church is old. A small Methodist chapel stands at Stone-Cross.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Reasrch Guide: Historical Research Using British Newspapers by Denise Bates
Civil Registration District: Torrington
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple
Rural Deanery: Hartland
Poor Law Union: Torrington