Warkworth Northumberland Family History Guide

Warkworth is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northumberland.

Other places in the parish include: West Chivington, West Chevington, Walkmill, Togstone, Togston, Sturton Grange, Morwick, Morrick, Low Buston, High Buston, Hauxley, Hadstone, Hadston, Gloster Hill, East Chivington, East Chevington, Bullocks Hall, Bullock’s Hall, Brotherwick, Birling, Amble, Acklington Park, and Acklington.

Status:

Parish church: St. Lawrence

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1676
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1760

Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, Presbyterian, Roman Catholic, Unitarian, United Presbyterian Church of Scotland, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Warkworth

  • Widdrington
  • Lesbury
  • Hebron
  • Felton
  • Ulgham
  • Shilbotel

 

Historical Descriptions of Warkworth

Warkworth

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

WARKWORTH, a village, a township, and a sub-district, in Alnwick district, and a parish partly also in Morpeth district, Northumberland. The village stands on the river Coquet, 1¼ mile from the river’s month, 1¼ mile E of the Northeastern railway, and 7 SE by S of Alnwick; is a borough by prescription, governed by a portreeve; gives the title of Baron to the Duke of Northumberland; comprises three streets; and has a post-office under Acklington, a r. station, an inn, an old three-arched bridge, an old market-cross, an ancient castle, a church, a U. Presbyterian chapel, a bar-harbour, with a fixed pier light, a small weekly market on Saturday, and a fair on the Thursday after 23 Nov. The castle was built in the 12th century, by a Fitz-Richard, but then left unfinished; underwent, in course of time, many changes of form and proprietorship; was greatly enlarged in 1400-7 and in 1435-40, by the Percys; sustained a siege, in 1405, by Henry IV.; figures in Shakespear’s drama of Henry IV.; belongs now to the Duke of Northumberland; was partly restored in 1846, and promised for a time to compete with Alnwick castle for complete restoration as the ducal residence; occupies a triangular area of 5 acres; and presents an imposing appearance of lofty walls, towers, turrets, and great keep, but is mainly ruinous. The church is partly Norman, was recently restored, and has a tower and spire. A Benedictine priory, a cell to Durham, stood near the church, and was founded in 1256 by Bishop Barnham. An ancient hermitage, “deep hewn within a craggy cliff,” is on the river’s banks about a mile above the castle; appears to be of the time of Edward II.; measures 18 feet by 7, exclusive of a sacristy 13 feet by 5; and is celebrated in Bishop Percy’s well-known ballad of the “Hermit of Warkworth.” The township comprises 1,078 acres of land, and 2,560 of water. Pop. in 1851, 834; in 1861, 730. Houses, 114. The sub-district contains 14 townships of W. parish, and 13 of other parishes. Acres, 31,864. Pop. in 1851, 7,413; in 1861, 7,631. Houses, 1,493. The parish, besides its 14 townships of W. sub-district, contains 4 townships in Morpeth district; and comprises 19,365 acres. Real property, £21,539; of which £18 are in quarries, £2,610 in mines, £240 in fisheries, and £10 in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 4,439; in 1861, 5,087. Houses, 960. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £528. Patron, the Bishop of Carlisle. The p. curacies of Acklington and Chevington are separate benefices. Independent and Roman Catholic chapels are in Amble; and a Methodist chapel is at Radcliffe colliery.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Acklington

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840

English: Parish Church of St John Acklington (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Acklington, a township in the parish of Warkworth, Northumberland; 8½ miles south-south east from Alnwick; on the Coquet river. Pop., in 1801, 257; in 1831, 285. Houses, 53. Poor rates, in 1837, £97.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.

Topographical Dictionary of the United Kingdom Capper 1808

Acklington, a township in the parish of Warkworth, in Morpeth ward, Northumberland, 11 miles from Morpeth, and 302 from London; containing 73 houses and 365 inhabitants.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of the United Kingdom. Benjamin Pitts Capper. 1808.

Acklington Park

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840

Acklington-Park, a township adjoining Acklington, in Warkworth parish. Pop., in 1801, 108; in 1831, 107. Houses 13. Poor rates, in 1837, £37.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.

Chevington

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Chevington, two townships and a chapelry in Warkworth parish, Northumberland. The townships are designated East and West; and they lie on the Northeastern railway, between Widdrington and Acklington stations, 5½ miles SSW of Warkworth. Acres, 2,225, and 1,804. Real property, £6,999; of which £1,363 are in mines. Pop., 651 and 161. Houses, 121 and 32. The chapelry was constituted in 1862; and is of somewhat less extent than the townships. Post-town, Widdrington, under Morpeth. Pop., 635. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Durham. Value, not reported. Patron, the Bishop of Durham.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Family History Links

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Northumberland
Civil Registration District: Alnwick
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)
Diocese: Durham
Rural Deanery: Alnwick
Poor Law Union: Alnwick
Hundred: Coquetdale Ward; Morpeth Ward
Province: York