Status: Ecclesiastical Parish
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1586
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1669
Parishes adjacent to Longnor
Historical Descriptions of Longnor
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LONGNOR, a village and a parish in Church-Stretton district, Salop. The village stands on the river Onny, near Watling-street, 1½ mile NNE of Leebotwood r. station, and 5 NNE of Church-Stretton; and is supposed to occupy the site of a Roman station. The parish comprises 1,200 acres; and its Post town is Leebotwood, under Shrewsbury. Real property, £3,656; of which £88 are in mines. Pop., 244. Houses, 48. The property is divided among a few. Longnor Hall is a chief residence. Coal is found, but is worked less now than formerly. The living is a vicarage annexed to the vicarage of Leebotwood, in the diocese of Lichfield. The church is ancient but good; and belonged formerly to Haughmond abbey. There are a national school, and charities £44. The Rev. Samuel Lee, late professor of Arabic at Cambridge, was a native.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Longnor, Shropshire Parish Registers 1586 to 1812 – Archive.org
Family History Links
Civil Registration District: Church Stretton
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Condover
Poor Law Union: Church Stretton