Linley is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Shropshire, created in 1700 from chapelry in Broseley Ancient Parish.
Status: Ecclesiastical Parish
Parish church: St. Leonard
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1859
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1859
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic
Historical Descriptions of Linley
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LINLEY, a parish in Madeley district, Salop; on the Severn Valley railway, 2½ miles SW by S of Broseley, and 4 NW by N of Bridgnorth. It has a station on the railway; and its Post town is Broseley, under Wellington, Salop. Acres, 628. Real property, £841. Pop., 94. Houses, 19. The property is divided between two. The manor belongs to Lord Forester. Linley Hall was formerly the seat of the Lacon family. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Broseley, in the diocese of Hereford. The church is Saxon, has a tower, and was repaired in 1859.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Linley. A parish in the franchise of Wenlock, and archdeaconry of Salop, holden with Broseley. 19 houses, 96 inhabitants. 2 ½ miles south-east of Broseley.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Linley Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871
Linley is a parish and small village, 2 ½ miles from Broseley, and 4 from Bridgnorth, in the Southern division of the county, in Wenlock parliamentary and municipal borough, Madeley union, and Hereford diocese; situated rear the river Severn. The church of St. Leonard is a plain old building. The living is a rectory, yearly value £5, annexed to that of Broseley, with half an acre of glebe land. Lord Forester, who is lord of the manor, and John Stephens, Esq., are the principal landowners. The soil is red marl and clay; subsoil, clay and sandstone. The population in 1861 was 94; the area is 636 acres; gross estimated rental, £831; rateable value, £784.
Letters are received through Bridgnorth.
Severn Valley Railway Station, Joseph Pugh, station master.
Lowndes William Layton, esq. J.P. Linley hall
Stanyer Mr. Thomas
Franks William, bricklayer and mason
Gwilliam Thomas, farmer, Hems
Harper Edward, gardener
Longmore Jsh. wheelwright & blacksmith
Stephens Thomas, farmer
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871
Family History Links
Civil Registration District: Madeley
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Wenlock
Poor Law Union: Madeley
Hundred: Much Wenlock Borough