Baydon, Wiltshire Family History Guide

St Nicholas’ parish church, Baydon, Wiltshire, seen from the south. Kevin Farmer / Baydon Church / CC BY-SA 2.0

Status: Ecclesiastical Parish

Parish church: St. Nicholas

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1673
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1578

Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist and Baptist

Parishes adjacent to Baydon

  • Hinton Parva
  • Lambourn
  • Bishopstone
  • Aldbourne
  • Wanborough
  • Ramsbury with Axford
  • Lambourn Woodlands
  • Ashbury

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BAYDON, a parish in the district of Hungerford and county of Wilts; on the verge of the county, 3½ miles WSW of Lambourne, and 7 SSE of Shrivenham r. station. It has a post office under Hungerford. Acres, 3,060. Real property, £2,892. Pop., 380. Houses, 81. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £110. Patron, the Rev. A. Meyrick. The church was repaired in 1860. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

FamilySearch Historical Records

Directories

Kelly’s Directory of Hampshire, Wiltshire, Dorsetshire and the Isle of Wight 1889

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Wiltshire
Civil Registration District: Hungerford
Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Dean of Salisbury
Diocese: Salisbury
Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 – None, Post-1846 – Marlborough
Poor Law Union: Hungerford
Hundred: Ramsbury
Province: Canterbury