Status: Ecclesiastical Parish
Other places included in the parish: Solihull lodge
Parish church: St. James
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1832
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1839
Parishes adjacent to Shirley
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SHIRLEY, a chapelry in Solihull parish, Warwickshire; 2 miles W by S of Solihull r. station, and 6 SSE of Birmingham. It was constituted in 1843; and it has a post-office under Birmingham. Pop., 1,062. Houses, 234. The property is much subdivided. Many good residences are at S.-Heath and S.-Street. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £200. Patron, the Rector of Solihull. The church was built in 1832. There are an Independent chapel and national schools.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Shirley-Street, an ecclesiastical district, in the parish and union of Solihull, Solihull division of the hundred of Hemlingford, N. division of the county of Warwick, 6 miles (S.) from Birmingham; containing 1009 inhabitants. The church, dedicated to St. James, was erected in 1832, at a cost of £1500, raised by subscription; it is a neat structure with a campanile turret, and contains 506 sittings, of which 306 are free. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the rector of Solihull; net income, £120, of which £45 are derived from the mother church, and £72 granted by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. Attached to the church is a good parsonage-house; and there is also a national school for boys and girls, supported from the proceeds of the parochial charity estates.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Bird Thomas, Solihul lodge, Warwickshire, coal dealer, Sept. 1, 1821.
Source: Extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Civil Registration District: Solihull
Probate Court: Pre-1837 – Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1836 – Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Arden
Poor Law Union: Solihull