Boughrood Radnorshire Wales Family History Guide

Photo of Church of St Cynog, Boughrood Viewed from the south. by Andrew Jones, some rights reserved.

Boughrood is a parish in the county of Radnorshire South Wales.

Alternative names: Bochrwd

Parish church: St Cynog (rebuilt 1850-60)

Parish registers begin: 1689

Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist

School: Public Elementary School (mixed), built in 1851 for 70 children

Parishes adjacent to Boughrood

  • Llanstephan
  • Llyswen
  • Glasbury
  • Aberllynfi

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BOUGHROOD, or Bachrhyd, a parish in the district of Hay and county of Radnor; on the river Wye, with a station on the Builth railway, 7 miles WSW of Hay. Post Town, Llyswen, under Hereford. Acres, 1,633. Real property, £1,986. Pop., 292. Houses, 57. The property is all in one estate. Boughrood Castle, on the site of an ancient baronial fortalice, of which slight vestiges remain, is the seat of W. de Winton, Esq. The scenery is wooded, romantic, and picturesque. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David’s. Value, £213. Patron, the Bishop of St. David’s. The church is good. R. Powell, a native, was vicar; and founded, at Brecon, a charity which has £262 a year.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer 1851

Boughrood, a parish in the hund. of Pains-Castle, county of Radnor, South Wales; 7 miles south-west by west of Hay. Living, a discharged vicarage in the archd. of Brecon and dio. of St. David’s; valued at £12 6s. 8d.; gross income £250; in the patronage of the bishop of St. David’s. There are two daily schools here. This parish comprehends about 1,000 acres, chiefly in wood, and is beautifully situated on the northern bank of the Wye, in the picturesque glen where the Calethwr and the Machwy fall into that river at directly opposite points. The dingle of the Machwy, noted for the grandeur of its scenery, is terminated by an enormous rock, on the summit of which are the remains of an ancient rude structure, the “terrific foundations” of which excite the curiosity of the tourist. An act was passed in the session of 1837-8 for building a bridge over the Wye at this place. Pop., in 1801, 285; in 1831, 354. Houses 63. A. P. £1,480. Poor rates, in 1837, £168.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

A Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1842

Boughrood (Bach-Rhyd), a parish, in the union of Hay, hundred of Painscastle, county of Radnor, South Wales, 7 miles (W. by S.) from Hay; containing 354 inhabitants. It is beautifully situated on the eastern bank of the Wye, across which there is a ford, from which the name of the place, signifying “the little ford,” has been derived, where a boat and horse are in constant attendance, and on the western bank of which passes the road from Hay to Builth. The village is delightfully embowered in wood, and sheltered by hills of moderate elevation; and on the opposite bank of the Wye, which just below the ferry-house makes the most remarkable horse-shoe bend in the whole of its course, gliding along its smooth bed in unruffled tranquillity, strongly opposed to the impetuosity which characterizes the earlier part of its course over its rocky channel, extends a more elevated ridge of hills, clothed to the summit with majestic timber. The parish is almost equally divided between hilly and level ground: the soil is very light on the hills, but rich and clayey on the banks of the Wye: the small stream called Bach-wy empties itself into the Wye near the village. Of the ancient castellated mansion called Boughrood Castle, the only remains are the moat and part of a wall: a spacious modern house, bearing the same name, was erected nearly on its site by the late Francis Fowkes, Esq., which, together with the estate, has recently been sold to Walter Wilkins, of Maeslough, Esq. The living is a discharged vicarage endowed with the rectorial tithes, rated in the king’s books at £12. 6. 8.; present net income, £213; patron, Bishop of St. David’s, who also presents to the prebend of Boughrood, otherwise Llanbedr-Painscastle, in Christ’s College, Brecknock, which is only rated at 13s. 4d. The church, dedicated to St. Cynog, consists of a nave and chancel, and, like most of the village churches in this part of the country, is kept neatly white washed. There is a place of worship for Primitive Methodists. Here are two day schools, in one of which about 35, and in the other about 30, children of both sexes are taught at the expense of their parents; the latter is in connexion with the Primitive Methodists, and was commenced in 1828. A Sunday school, in which are about 40 children of both sexes, is supported by subscription, amounting to £5 per annum, which is paid as a salary to the master. A rent-charge of £1. 4. on a tenement in this parish, is annually distributed among the poor; and £5 per annum is received from the charity founded by the Rev. Rees Powell, for apprenticing poor children. This pious and benevolent individual, who was vicar of this parish, from which his benefactions to this and divers other parishes have been called the “Boughrood charity,” died in 1687, and lies buried in the priory church of Brecknock, in the account of which town his charity is described. The total expenditure of the parochial rates, for the year ending March 25th, 1837, amounted to £154, of which £117 was appropriated for the relief of the poor, £36 towards county rates, and £1 for defraying incidental charges.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis Third Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 87, Hatton Garden. MDCCCXLII.

Parish Records

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free

Powys Archives

The following records are available from Powys Archives.

Parish Registers

Baptisms 1689-1784, burials 1689-1784, marriages 1695-1758

Baptisms, burials 1777-1812 

Baptisms 1813-1979 

Burials 1813-1973 

Marriages 1803-1812 

Marriages 1813-1837 

Marriages 1837-1970 

Banns 1824-1870 

Marriages 1756-1802 

Churchwardens Accounts 1783-1850 

Vestry Minutes 1848-1929 

Overseers’ of the Poor Accounts 1807-1825 

FamilySearch

Church Records

Bishop’s transcripts, 1687-1847

Marriage bonds and allegations, 1680-1867

Wales, Radnorshire, Boughrood, parish registers, 1689-1973

Parish register printouts of Boughrood, Radnor, Wales ; christenings, 1813-1847

Cemeteries

Monumental inscriptions, the parish church of St. Cynog, Bochrwd, Radnorshire

Census

Census returns for Boughrood, 1841-1891

Directories

Kelly’s directory of Monmouthshire and South Wales, 1920

Administration

  • County: Radnorshire / Powys
  • Civil Registration District: Hay
  • Diocese: St. David; Swansea and Brecon
  • Rural Deanery: Hay
  • Poor Law Union: Hay
  • Hundred: Painscastle
  • Province: Canterbury
  • Petty Sessional Division: Painscastle
  • Couty Court District: Hay