Preston on Stour is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Alternative names: Preston Upon Stour
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin: 1540
Nonconformists include: Baptist
Parishes adjacent to Preston on Stour
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PRESTON-ON-STOUR, a parish, with a village, in the district of Stratford-on-Avon and county of Gloucester; on the river Stour, at the boundary with Warwick, 2½ miles E.S.E. of Milcote r. station, and 3½ S of Stratford-on-Avon. Post-town, Stratford-on-Avon. Acres, 1,990. Real property, £2,434. Pop., 376. Houses, 80. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with Alscot Park, belongs to J. R. West, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £55. Patron, J. R. West, Esq The church is good, and has a tower. There are a national school, and charities £5.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831
PRESTON upon STOUR, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Deerhurst, county of Gloucester, 4½ miles (S.) from Stratford upon Avon, containing, with Alscote, 334 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king’s books at £8. 13. 4., endowed with £1200 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of James Roberts West, Esq. The river Stour runs through the parish.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831.
Marriages at Preston Upon Stour 1541 to 1812
Gloucestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol IV. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.
Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Blagg, Thomas Matthews
Note. – the Marriage Registers are contained in three volumes, of which the earliest is written on parchment, and is the copy made in 1604 from the original paper book. It is beautifully written, with ornamental headings, and is in good condition, but has lost its cover. The Marriages are extracted by the Rev. J. Harvey Bloom, Rector of Whitchurch, with the consent of the Rev. F. Hastings, vicar.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Stratford on Avon
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 – Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Campden
- Poor Law Union: Stratford on Avon
- Hundred: Deerhurst
- Province: Canterbury