Cromhall is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Other places in the parish include: Cromhall Abbotts, Cromhall Lygon.
Parish registers begin: 1653
Nonconformists include: Calvinistic Methodist and Independent/Congregational.
Parishes adjacent to Cromhall
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CROMHALL-ABBOTS, a parish in Thornbury district, Gloucester; 1½ mile NW of Wickwar r. station, and 3½ E of Thornbury. It has a post office, of the name of Cromhall, under Chippenham; and it includes the tything of Cromhall-Lygon. Acres, 2,579. Real property, £5,074. Pop., 681. Houses, 156. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged to the abbey of St. Augustine in Bristol; and the estate of Cromhall-Lygon belonged to the Lygons. Coal and lime-stone are found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of G. and Bristol. Value, £468. Patron, Oriel College, Oxford. The church is good; and there are an Independent chapel, two public schools, and charities £5.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Cromhall-Abbotts with Cromhall-Lygon, 2 m. Wickwar. P. 732.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Thornbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Hawkesbury
- Poor Law Union: Thornbury
- Hundred: Berkeley (Gloucestershire)
- Province: Canterbury