Abson and Wick Morris Gloucestershire Directory 1876

Abson and Wick are two villages, forming a parish in Chipping Sodbury union, containing, by the census of 1861, 833, and in 1871, 838 inhabitants, and 2315 acres, in the deanery of Hawkesbury, archdeaconry of Bristol, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, hundred of Pucklechurch, West Gloucestershire; 3 miles south-east from Mangotsfield Station on the Bristol and Birmingham Railway, 7 east from Bristol, 7 north-west from Bath, 7 south-west from Chipping Sodbury, and 113 from London ; on the old road from Bath to Bristol, and on the river Boyd. The living is a chapelry, with that of Westerleigh annexed to the vicarage of Pucklechurch, in the incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Boucher Coney, M.A., honorary canon of Bristol and rural dean, and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Wells; joint annual value £750. The church, dedicated to St. James, is an ancient edifice in the Early English style, consisting of nave, chancel, and porch, with tower containing a peal of six bells. There is a National School for children of both sexes, with residence for the master. The Independents and Wesleyans have places of worship here. Lead, tin, and coal, have been dug in the parish. Mr. James Tolman is lord of the manor.

Wick is a village about 1½ mile south, situate in the midst of a beautiful romantic valley, through which the river Boyd passes, and for three-quarters of a mile runs between rocks, which rise in some places above 200 feet from the level. At the northern extremity of these hills are the remains of a Roman camp, which extend over about 12 acres, and contain several cottages ; it is oblong, and was defended on three sides by a double Callum and broad ditch. Some Druidical stones, about 5 feet high, exist in a field near Tracey Park. The rocks produce the sparry substance known as the “Bristol diamonds.” A new church, dedicated to St. Bartholmew, capable of seating 400 persons, was consecrated in April, 1850.

Bridgeyate, or Bridgate, and Holybrook, are hamlets of the above parish, the former being a polling-place for the Western Division of Gloucestershire. The rateable value of this parish is £4205.


Sommerville Mrs. Ann, Bridgeyate house

Trades and Professions.

Anstee Edward, farmer

Bryant Henry, shopkeeper

Harrington Thomas, gardener and parish clerk

Jefferis Leonard and Thomas, builders, timber merchants, and carriage builders, Bridgeyate

Marshall Henry, farmer

Perry John, lime burner and farmer

Perry Mark, farmer

Perry Matthew, farmer, Highfield

Perry Richard, farmer

Perry William, farmer

Pow William, Jun., “White Hart” inn, Bridgeyate

Watts Worthy, farmer, Bridgeyate

Willshire, Charles, farmer

Young Nathaniel, “Griffin” hotel (good stabling), Bridgeyate



Ashley Jacob, Esq., The Lawn

Chitt Miss Sarah

Trades and Professions.

Amos Samuel, tailor

Amer Mrs. Sarah, farmer and limeburner, Bury house

Amos Henry, farmer, Lime Brook farm

Amos Samuel, tailor

Ashley Jacob, surgeon, The Lawn

Batterbury J. H., “Crown”

Bedford William, farmer and cattle dealer, Bridgeyate

Boughton Henry, shopkeeper, Bridgeyate

Bryan George, carpenter and wheelwright

Bryant Henry, shopkeeper

Dare Frederick, miller and farmer

Davis John, farmer

Downs Thomas Beames, miller

England Job, farmer

Fussell James, farmer

Gunning John, farmer, Holybrook

Gunning William, mason

Heming William, wheelwright, carpenter, and builder

Jones F. F., commission agent, Wick court

Lyle Samuel, mason and shopkeeper

Lyle Miss, dressmaker

Matthews Henry, farmer, Cold Harbor farm

Mills Joseph, miller, Wick New mills

Mizen Reuben, farmer

Nelms Guy, farmer

Nowell Charles, shopkeeper and sub-postmaster

Packer James, blacksmith

Pritchard Charles, farmer

Phipps Samuel and Brothers, plate and sheet iron manufacturers, Iron Rolling mills

Sahker James, “Carpenters’ Arms”

William James and Joseph, plasterers and tilers, Holybrook

Williams Enos, farmer

Post Office – Charles Nowell, sub-postmaster. Letters from Bath arrive at 9 a.m., dispatched at 3 p.m. Kingswood is the nearest money order office.

Source: Morris & Co.’s commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.