Batsford is an Ancient Parish partly in Gloucestershire and partly in Worcestershire.
Alternative names: Battisford
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin: 1562
Parishes adjacent to Batsford
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BATSFORD, or Battisford, a parish in the district of Shipston-on-Stour, and county of Gloucester; near the Stratford railway and the Fosse way, 2 miles NW of Moreton. Post Town, Moreton-in-the-Marsh. Acres, 932. Real property, £2,075. Pop., 130. Houses, 22. The property is not much divided. Batsford Park is the seat of Lord Redesdale. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £370. Patron, Lord Redesdale. The church was rebuilt in 1862.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Batsford, or Battesford, a parish in the upper division of the hund, of Kiftsgate, county of Gloucester; 2 miles north-west of Moreton, in the neighbourhood of the Moreton and Stratford railway. Living, a rectory, formerly in the dio. of Gloucester, now in the archd. of Gloucester and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; valued at £13 3s. 9d.; gross income £395; in the patronage of the dean and canons of Christ-church, Oxford. There is a Sunday school here, and the children belonging to the parish have the privilege of attending an endowed school at Moreton-in-the-Marsh. The great Roman road to Cirencester pusses through this parish, and there are traces of a Roman intrenchment. Pop., in 1801, 89; in 1831, 107. Houses 19. Acres 980. A. P. £2,004. Poor rates, in 1837, £128
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Batsford, co. Gloucester.
P. T. Moreton (80) 2 m. NW. Pop. 108.
A parish in the upper division of the hundred of Kiftsgate; living, a rectory in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester; charged in K. B. 13l. 3s. 9d.; church ded. to St. Mary; patron, Christ Church College, Oxford.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831
BATSFORD, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of KIFTSGATE, county of GLOUCESTER, 2 miles (N. W.) from Moreton in the Marsh, containing 108 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king’s books at £13. 3. 9., and in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Christ-church, Oxford. This parish enjoys the beneﬁt of an endowed school at Moreton in the Marsh.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831
Batsford Marriages 1565 to 1812
Gloucestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol VI. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.
Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Blagg, Thomas Matthews
Poll Book 1834, Batsford Gloucestershire
Below are the names of those that voted in the election of August 1834 between Christopher William Codrington, Esquire, and Charles Hanbury Tracy Leigh, Esquire. For more information see Poll Book 1834.
Poll Book of the Election, August 1834 for the Eastern Division of the County of Gloucester.
Campden Polling District
|Clark Stephen||Batsford||renter of house &c||Batsford|
|Ellis John||Batsford Heath farm||renter of land||Heath Farm|
|Ellis Thomas||Blenheim farm||renter of house &c||Batsford|
|Hall John Robert||Rectory House ditto||rectory house||ditto|
|Marshall John||“Blockley Worcestershire”||renter of land||Batsford|
Online Records (Free)
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Shipston on Stour
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Campden
- Poor Law Union: Shipston on Stour
- Hundred: Kiftsgate
- Province: Canterbury