Ashleworth is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Alternative names: Ashelworth, Escelenorde
Parish church: St. Andrew
Parish registers begin: 1566
Parishes adjacent to Ashleworth
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ASHELWORTH, or Ashleworth, a parish in the district and county of Gloucester; at a ferry on the river Severn, 5 miles N of Gloucester r. station. It has a post office under Gloucester. Acres, 1,710. Real property, £3,710. Pop., 547. Houses, 136. The property is subdivided. Ashelworth House is an old seat of the Haywards. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £280. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is early English, and has a tower and spire. There are a national school, a police station, and some charities.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Ashelworth, a parish in a detached portion of the upper division of the hund. of Berkeley, union of Gloucester, county of Gloucester; 5½ miles north from Gloucester. Living, a discharged vicarage in the archd. of Gloucester and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £10 2s. 11d.; gross income £187. Patron, the bishop of Bristol. The church consists of a nave, aisle, and two chancels, with a tower and spire. The great and small tithes, the property of the bishop of Bristol and the vicar, were commuted in 1797. There are two daily schools in the parish. It is bounded on the south-east by the Severn, which is here navigable. Charities to the poor of the parish £30 per annum. Pop., in 1801, 476; in 1831, 540. Houses 88. Acres 1,710. A. P. £2,727. Poor rates, in 1837, £152.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Ashelworth [sic], 6 m. N. Gloucester. P. 594
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Ashelworth, co. Gloucester.
P.T. Gloucester (104) 5½ to. N b W. Pop. 498.
A parish in the hundred of Berkeley, upper division; living, a dis. vicarage in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester; val. in K. B. 10l. 2s. 11d.; church ded. to St. Andrew; patron, the Bishop of Bristol.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
The following newspapers cover the area.
Cheltenham Chronicle (The British Newspaper Archive)
Cheltenham Examiner (The British Newspaper Archive)
Cheltenham Journal and Gloucestershire Fashionable Weekly Gazette (The British Newspaper Archive)
Cheltenham Looker-On (The British Newspaper Archive)
Cheltenham Mercury (The British Newspaper Archive)
Cirencester Times and Cotswold Advertiser (The British Newspaper Archive)
Gloucester Citizen (The British Newspaper Archive)
Gloucester Journal (The British Newspaper Archive)
Gloucestershire Chronicle (The British Newspaper Archive)
Gloucestershire Echo (The British Newspaper Archive)
Stroud Journal (The British Newspaper Archive)
Stroud News and Gloucestershire Advertiser (The British Newspaper Archive)
Tewkesbury Register, and Agricultural Gazette., The (The British Newspaper Archive)
Wilts and Gloucestershire Standard (The British Newspaper Archive)
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Gloucester
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 – Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Gloucester
- Poor Law Union: Gloucester
- Hundred: Berkeley (Gloucestershire)
- Province: Canterbury