Brailes Warwickshire Family History Guide

Brailes is an Ancient Parish in the county of Warwickshire.

Other places in the parish include: Upper Brailes, Chelmscott, Lower Brailes, and Winderton.

Fairs: Brails, April 10

Parish church: St. George

Parish registers begin: 1570

Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Brailes

Historical Descriptions


The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BRAILES, two hamlets, a parish, and a division in Warwick. The hamlets are Upper and Lower Brailes; they lie 3 and 4 miles ESE of Shipston-on-Stour, and about 6 NE by E of Moreton r. station; they have a post office, of the name of Brailes, under Shipston-on-Stour; and one of them was formerly a market-town, and has still a fair on Easter Thursday. The parish includes also the hamlets of Chelmscott and Winderton; and is in the district of Shipston-on-Stour. Acres, 5,220. Real property, £10,548. Pop., 1,347. Houses, 305. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged, before the Conquest, to Edwin Earl of Mercia; was given, by the Conqueror, to Henry de Newburgh; and passed to the Beauchamps. Brailes House is now the seat of the Sheldons. Brailes Cover is a meet of the Warwick hounds. Some parts of the surface are hilly and have fine views. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £344. Patron, J. Jordan. Esq. The church is partly early English, partly perpendicular, and is in good condition. There are a Quakers chapel, a Roman Catholic chapel and school, an endowed school with £64 a year, a national school, a library and reading room, and charities £68. The division contains fifteen parishes; and is in Kington hundred. Acres, 35,242. Pop., 7,369. Houses, 1,575.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Leonards Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Brails, 3¾ miles E. Shipston-on-Stour. P. 1284.

Source: Leonards Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Brailes, a parish and village in the Brailes division of the hund. of Kington, union of Shipston-upon-Stour, Warwickshire; 4½ miles east by south of Shipston-upon-Stour. Living, a vicarage in the archd. and dio. of Worcester; valued at £25; gross income £344. Patron, in 1835, S. Thornton, Esq. The great and small tithes, the property of the lay-impropriator and vicar, were commuted in 1784. The Roman Catholics have a chapel here. Here is a school founded in the reign of Queen Elizabeth, with an annuity of £8 1s. 8d., and since augmented to £64 8s. 2d. It is free to all poor children resident in the parish. There are also 3 daily schools in this parish, besides a day and Sunday school, and two Sunday National schools. The hills in this parish present fine prospects. A fair is held here on Easter Tuesday for horses, cows, and sheep. Pop., in 1801, 980; in 1831, 1,272. Houses 255. Acres 5,220. A. P. £11,196. Poor rates, in 1838, £631 17s.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Brailes (St. George), a parish, in the union of Shipston-upon-Stour, Brailes division of the hundred of Kington, S. division of the county of Warwick, 4 miles (E. by S.) from Shipston; containing, with the hamlets of Chelmscott and Winderton, 1284 inhabitants. Prior to the Conquest, this lordship was in the possession of Edwin, Earl of Mercia; and subsequently, including the hamlets of Chelmscott and Winderton, it yielded to the Conqueror “no less than £55 yearly, with 20 horse loads of salt”. Henry III., in 1248, granted a charter for a market to be held here on Monday, which has been long discontinued; also a fair, on the eve of the festival of St. George and the two following days, now inconsiderable. In the 13th of Edward I., William de Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick, then owner of the manor, claimed by prescription, and was allowed certain privileges; viz., a gallows, with assize of bread and beer. The parish contains 5407 acres of land, of which about 2000 are arable and 3000 pasture; the village is situated on the turnpike-road to Banbury, and is of considerable extent.

There is a manufactory for livery shag, plush, &c., in which nearly 100 persons are employed. The living is a vicarage, valued in the King’s books at £25; net income, £344; patron, Samuel Thornton, Esq.; impropriator, George Bishopp, Esq., M.D. Under an inclosure act passed in 1784, land and annual money payments were assigned, in lieu of all tithes and moduses, for Lower Brailes. The church was probably erected in the time of the Conqueror, and was given, in the reign of his son, Henry I., to the canons of Kenilworth; it is a large and handsome edifice, combining the early, decorated, and later English styles, with a lofty tower supported by tall buttresses, and crowned with battlements and pinnacles, containing six bells; the interior was modernised in 1824. A guild, consisting of a warden, brethren, and sisters, was founded in the church by Richard Nevill, Earl of Warwick; the revenue, in the 37th of Henry VIII., was £18. 13. 2., out of which a grammar school was then supported. There are places of worship for the Society of Friends and Roman Catholics. A free school, probably founded about the end of the reign of Henry VIII., is endowed with an improved income of £70. There are also a school for girls, and one for infants, besides a school for Roman Catholic children; and several bequests have been made for the benefit of the poor, of which the principal is one by William Prestidge in 1732, now producing £36 per annum. There was anciently a chapel at Chelmscott, in which a chantry for four priests was founded by Thomas de Pakinton, of Brailes, in 1322. In Upper Brailes, at the distance of 1¼ mile from the church, is a chalybeate spring, the water of which has been used with considerable advantage in cases of scrofula.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.


Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

CHELMSCOTT, a hamlet in Brailes parish, Warwick; 4 ¼ miles E of Shipston-on-Stour.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

FamilySearch Historical Records


Shipston upon Stour, Brails & Neighbourhoods Pigot and Co’s National Commercial Directory 1835


Vision of Britain historical maps


  • County: Warwickshire
  • Civil Registration District: Shipston on Stour
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Worcester
  • Rural Deanery: Kineton
  • Poor Law Union: Shipston on Stour
  • Hundred: Kington
  • Province: Canterbury