Barton under Needwood is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Staffordshire, created in 1796 from chapelry in Tatenhill Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin: 1571
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Barton-under-Needwood
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BARTON-UNDER-NEEDWOOD, a village and a chapelry in Burton-upon-Trent district, Stafford. The village stands near Icknield-street, the Grand Trunk canal, the river Trent, and the Birmingham and Derby railway, 1 mile W of Barton and Walton station, and 5½ SW of-Burton-upon-Trent. It has a post office under Burton-upon-Trent; is in the honour of Tutbury, and a seat of courts; and has fairs on 3 May and 28 Nov. Several fine villas are in the neighbourhood. The chapelry includes the village, and is in the parish of Tatenhill. Acres, 3,520. Real property, £12,054. Pop., 1,589. Houses, 359. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £135. Patron, the Dean of Lichfield. The church is later English; and was built, in the time of Henry VIII., by Dr. John Taylor, a native of the village. There are chapels for Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists. Two endowed schools have £60, and other charities £39.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Barton-under-Needwood, a parochial chapelry in the parish of Tatenhill, union of Burton-upon-Trent, Staffordshire; 5 miles south-west of Burton-upon-Trent, in the vicinity of the Grand Trunk canal. Living, a perpetual curacy in the archd. of Stafford and dio. of Lichfield and Coventry; rated at £25, in the parliamentary returns at £132; gross income £135; in the patronage of the dean of Lichfield. The chapel was erected in the reign of Henry VIII., by Dr John Taylor, a native of the village. There are here a daily, a day and boarding, and an infant school, besides two day and Sunday National schools, one of which is endowed by the Drapers’ company with £30 10s. per annum, and with £9 10s. per annum arising from land, the other has an annual endowment of £20. Courts-leet and baron are held here, and the village is in the honour of Tutbury. Fairs are held on the 3d of May and 20th of November; if Sunday, the Saturday previous. Pop., in 1801, 834; in 1831, 1,344. Houses 270. Acres 3,520. A. P. £7,263. Poor rates, in 1837, £434.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851
- County: Staffordshire
- Civil Registration District: Burton upon Trent
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Tutbury
- Poor Law Union: Burton upon Trent
- Hundred: North Offlow
- Province: Canterbury