Bacton is a small parish and village, 4 miles north-west from Pontrilas railway station, 12 south-west from Hereford, and 1 mile and a half from Abbey Dore, in Webtree hundred, Dore union, Hereford county court, archdeaconry and bishopric, and Weobley rural deanery, situated in the Golden Valley, near the river Dore. The church of St. Peter is a small old stone building, with square tower, in the Norman style, in good repair, and has nave, porch, chancel, font, 2 bells, and a monument to Blanche Parry, a maid of honour to Queen Elizabeth; the communion cloth is an ancient piece of tapestry worked by her; she left £14 yearly to the poor of the parish. The living is a rectory, worth £130, with residence, in the gift of John Hampden Hamp, Esq.; the Rev. Charles Proberts, M.A., is the rector. There is a Charity school for boys, and girls. Bacton villa is the seat of William Henry Hamp, Esq. The population in 1801 was 154 ; the acreage is 1,155. The soil is sandy and loamy; the subsoil is clay and sand stone. John H. Hamp, Esq., is chief landowner. There are charities of £20 yearly value.
Bacton Green is half a mile west.
New Court, Cwm, Tremoriddig, Green Farm, and Pentwyn are places here.
Parish Clerk, John Hollett.
Hamp William Henry, esq. The Villa
Proberts Rev. Charles, M.A. Rectory
Sternschuss Rev. Paul Hymen, Upper Grange
Bolt James, farmer, Green farm
Cook Joseph, blacksmith
Davis Jane (Mrs.), farmer, Up. Cwm
George Samuel, farmer, Grange farm
Hughes Samuel, New inn
Lambert Sarah (Mrs.), farmer, Tremoriddig
Powell Charles, farmer, Upper house
Powell Thomas, farmer, Pentwyn
Probert Charles, farmer, Cwm farm
Rogers Thomas, farmer, Pear Tree cot
Sambrook Richd. miller, New Court mill
Saunders Joseph, farmer, New court
Williams John, beer retailer
Williams Richard, carpenter
Letters are received through Hereford. The nearest money order office is at Kcntchurch.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.