Bettws y Crwyn is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Shropshire, created in 1764 from a chapelry in Clun Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Kevencalanog, Kevengalanog, Rhyd-y-cwm, Trebrodier, Rugantine, and Rhugantin.
Parish registers begin: 1695
Nonconformists include: Baptist
Parishes adjacent to Bettws y Crwyn
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Bettus, a parish in the hund. of Clunn, county of Salop; 7 miles north-west of Knighton. Living, a perpetual curacy in the archd. of Salop and dio. of Hereford; valued at £20; gross income £57. Patron, in 1835, the Earl of Powis. Pop., in 1801, 308; in 1831, 389. Houses 59. Acres 8,500. A.P. £2,159. Poor rates, in 1837, £203.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Bettus, 6 m. N.W. Knighton. P. 452
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Bettus; or Bettws. A parish in the Mainstone division of the hundred of Clun, a curacy not in charge, chapel to Clun, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Clun, and archdeaconry of Salop. 56 houses, 341 inhabitants. 9 miles south-west of Bishopscastle.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824.
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Knighton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Clun
- Poor Law Union: Knighton
- Hundred: Clun
- Province: Canterbury