Oldswinford Worcestershire Billings Directory 1855

Oldswinford is a very extensive Parish, in the Lower Halfshire Hundred, containing several Townships and Hamlets, one of which (Amblecote) is in Staffordshire. The entire Parish contains a population of 20,238; Oldswinford, alone, 2,728 inhabitants; the other places will be afterwards noticed. With the exception of Oldswinford Hospital (which will be found under the head of Stourbridge), there is little worthy of notice. Oldswinford is 5 miles from Dudley; 20 from Worcester; 124 from London; 12 from Birmingham; and 6 from Kidderminster.
The Parish Church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a modern erection, with the exception of the tower, which is of the fourteenth century, and contains a peal of six fine bells. It is a large building, and the style of the architecture is made to correspond with that of the tower, and reflects great credit upon the designer, R. Ebbells, Esq., and also upon the builder, Mr. E. Smith. It has galleries on three sides, the one at the western end containing a very fine-toned organ. There are sittings for nearly 1500 persons, about one half of which are free. The living is a Rectory, in the patronage of Lord Ward. Rev. C. H. Craufurd, Rector; Mr. Thos. Cogzell, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 15 p.m.
The Infant School is a large brick building, and is supported by contributions and the children’s payments. Mrs. Jackson, Mistress. Average number of scholars, 56.
The School at Red Hill, endowed by John Wheeler, Esq., and Henry Glover, Esq., is for the education of 25 boys. The building is a large brick erection, with a house for the master, who is allowed to take other scholars, not on the foundation. Mr. Chetwynd, Master.
County Police Station, Upper Swinford. Henry Pantin, Officer.

Upper Swinford

Brettell Miss Sarah, Hagley Terrace
Cross Mr. Alexander, Love Lane
Dixon Miss C., Hagley Terrace
Fennell Mr. Albert, Norton Villa
Griffiths Mrs. Lucy
Griffiths Mrs. James, Hagley Terrace
Hill Mr. George
Hodson Mrs.
Hopkins Mr. John, The Furze
Kempson Benjamin, Esq., Magistrate, Norton
Littlewood Miss Sarah, Hagley Terrace
Osborn Mr. David, Hagley Terrace
Riley Rev. Richard, Curate of Amblecote, Hagley Terrace
Smith Mr. James, Laurel Cottage
Wassell Mr. Reuben, American Cottage, Love Lane
Adams Richard, boot and shoe maker
Anderson James, Head Master at the Hospital, Hagley Terrace
Aston James W., chain maker, Love Lane
Bailey John, victualler, Crab Mill
Beddoes James, beer retailer, Waggon and Horses
Biden Thomas, accountant
Birch John, brewer and maltster
Bird Joseph, maltster
Brentnall Mary Ann, victualler, Star
Brooks James, butcher
Brown Edward, shopkeeper
Cale Mary, victualler, Cross
Chamberlain John, grocer and provision dealer, and sub-postmaster
Chance John, beer retailer, Hearty Good Fellow
Coley Joseph, boot and shoe maker
Cooke William, hop and seed merchant, Highfield House
Cooke Thomas, shopkeeper
Cooper John, painter and glazier
Corser Henry, solicitor, Farland
Dark George, victualler and wheelwright, Malt Shovel
Edwards George, builder and coffin maker
Edwards George, victualler, Cider Mill
Gould Thomas, fruiterer
Green Samuel, farrier
Harrison William, woolstapler, Love Lane
Hodgetts Lewis, nailmaster, Alban Villa
Houslander William, engineer and surveyor
Johns Edward, grocer and provision dealer
Jones Thomas, timber merchant
Lees Benjamin, cabinet maker, Hagley Terrace
Mason William, beer retailer, Wheat Sheaf
Pardoe Sarah, shopkeeper
Pargeter Benjamin, solicitor, Norton Villa
Perkes Elizabeth, butcher
Shutt William, farmer
Smallman Richard, Post-Office messenger, Richmond Cottage
Smith Edward, architect, builder, and timber merchant
Smith William, house agent
Smith Thomas, beer retailer, Shrubbery Cottage
Taylor James, pump maker
Taylor Peter, pump maker
Trueman John, beer retailer, Greyhound
Walker William, flint glass manufacturer; house, Norton House
Westwood Edward, glass manufacturer
Wyatt William, iron and lead pump maker, and well sinker, patentee of the glazed cast-iron piping, Hagley Road (see advertisement)
Wyer Mark, beer retailer, Gig Mill Tavern
Yardley Joseph, beer retailer, Swan

Lower Swinford

Badger Miss, Grange
Craufurd Rev. C. H., Rector, Rectory
Hickman R., Esq., Magistrate, The Castle
Musselwhite Mr. Ralph
Richards Rev. James, Congregational Minister, The Hill
Rowley Mr. Edward
Rufford Francis, Esq., Prescot House
Darby James, maltster
Green Sarah, maltster and victualler, Railway House, Chawn Hill
Hall John, mill manufacturer
Hambrey John, victualler, Station Inn
Hemming Joseph, victualler, Seven Stars
Hipkins Thomas and Stephen, brewers and maltsters
Hipkins Stephen, brewer, &c., Wollescote Hall
Hughes Henry, goods manager at railway
Jones John, agent, Chawn Hill House
Matty Richard, victualler, Fountain
Morton Richard, beer retailer and shopkeeper
Pargeter Henry, nailmaster, Wollescote House
Parkes Thomas, maltster
Tiernay James, ironmaster, The Laurels
Tredwell William, contractor, White Hall
Williams Samuel C., glass manufacturer
Wilson The Misses, boarding school
Wooldridge Benjamin, auctioneer and surveyor
Branch Post Office, Upper Swinford. Arrival, 7 30 a.m.; despatch, 6 40 p.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Note – Stourbridge has a separate entry