Boddington is a chapelry of Staverton Ancient Parish in Gloucestershire.
The parish includes: Barrow.
Parish church: St. Mary Magdalene
Parish registers begin: 1652
Nonconformists include: Protestant Dissenters and Society of Friends/Quaker.
Parishes adjacent to Boddington
[su_gmap address=”Boddington Gloucestershire” zoom=”11″]
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Boddington, a parish in Tewkesbury district, Gloucester; on the river Chilt, 4 miles NW by W of Cheltenham r. station. It includes the township of Barrow; and has a post office under Cheltenham. Acres, 930. Real property, £1,670. Pop., 392. Houses, 81., The manor belongs to Mrs. T. L. Blagdon; and has a curious old moated mansion. King Alfred fought his last battle with the Danes, in 893, “at the barrow” The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Staverton, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is ancient, and looks to be Norman, but is not really so.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Boddington, a parish in the union of Tewkesbury, partly in the hund. of Tewkesbury and partly in that of Westminster, lower divisions, county of Gloucester; 4 miles north-west by west of Cheltenham, and 3 west of the Cheltenham railway. Living, a curacy, subordinate to the vicarage of Staverton. Pop., in 1801, 273; in 1831, 421. Houses 62. Acres 1,550. A. P. £3,243. Poor rates, in 1837, £229.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Boddington, 6 m. S. Tewkesbury. P. 414
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
The British Gazetteer 1852
Barrow, Gloucester, a hamlet in the parish of Boddington — (which see for access, &c.): 98 miles from London, 4 from Cheltenham, 5 from Tewkesbury. Money orders issued at Cheltenham: London letters delivered 8 a.m.: post closes 8 p.m. Piffs Elm.
Source: The British Gazetteer, Political, Commercial, Ecclesiastical, and Historical: Showing the Distances of Each Place from London and Derby–gentlemen’s Seats–populations … &c. Illustrated by a Full Set of County Maps, with All the Railways Accurately Laid Down. Benjamin Clarke 1852; Published (for the proprietors) by H. G. Collins.
Family History Links
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Tewkesbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Winchcombe
- Poor Law Union: Tewkesbury
- Hundred: Tewkesbury; Westminster (Gloucestershire)
- Province: Canterbury