Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: All Saints
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1559
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1602
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist, Particular Baptist
Parishes adjacent to Great Barford
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BARFORD (Great), a parish in the district and county of Bedford; on the river Ouse, 3 miles NNW of Sandy r. station, and 6 E by N of Bedford. It has a post office under St. Neot’s. Acres, 2,830. Real property, £4,679. Pop., 907. Houses, 198. The property is subdivided. The river Ouse here is crossed by a bridge of about the beginning of the 15th century, and is navigable. The living is a vicarage, annexed to Roxton, in the dio. of Ely. The church is later English. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £20.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Barford (Great ), 5m. N.E. Bedford, P. 814.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
Barford (Great), a parish in the hund. of Barford, union and county of Bedford; 6 miles east-north-east from Bedford. Living, a discharged vicarage united with that of Roxden, in the archd. of Bedford and dio. of Lincoln; rated at £9; and in the patronage of Trinity college, Cambridge. The great and small tithes, the property of Trinity college, Cambridge, and the vicar, were commuted in 1820. There are two daily and two Sunday-schools here. The river Ouse, over which there is here a bridge, built about the beginning of the 15th century, is navigable along the south-eastern parts of the parish. Pop., in 1801, 431; in 1831, 731. Houses 150. Acres 2,830. A. P. £2,545. Poor rates, in 1837, £428.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
1818 Digest of Returns to Circular Letter from the Select Committee on Education of the Poor, &c.
Schools – None
Sunday Schools – A Sunday school, for 70 children, supported by voluntary contribution.
Observations – The poor are very desirous of education; and a national school for Great Barford and Roxton would be beneficial, as there are upwards of 60 children in want of instruction.
Notes – Return signed by J. Clarkson, vicar.
- County: Bedfordshire
- Civil Registration District: Bedford
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Bedford
- Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
- Rural Deanery: Eaton
- Poor Law Union: Bedford
- Hundred: Barford
- Province: Canterbury