St Nicholas is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Other places in the parish include: Ringmore and Shaldon.
Parish registers begin: 1616
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Independent/Congregational, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to St. Nicholas
- West Teignmouth
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Nicholas (St.), an island, near the mouth of Plymouth and Devon-port harbour. P. 1175
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
Shaldon, a village in St. Nicholas parish, Devon; under the Ness promontory, at the mouth of the river Teign, opposite Teignmouth. It is a sea-bathing resort, with a fine beach and romantic environs; and has a post-office under Teignmouth, three dissenting chapels, many handsome villas, and a large ship-building yard.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Devon
- Civil Registration District: Newton Abbot
- Probate Court: Pre-1848 – Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Exeter, Post-1847 – Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Totnes
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1848 – Kenn, Post-1847 – Ipplepen
- Poor Law Union: Newton Abbot
- Hundred: Wonford
- Province: Canterbury