Braunton Devon Family History Guide

Braunton with Saunton and Knowle is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.

Other places in the parish include: Saunton and Knowle.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1538

Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Plymouth Brethren, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Braunton

Historical Descriptions

Braunton

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BRAUNTON, a village, a parish, a subdistrict, and a hundred in Devon. The village stands near the mouth of the river Taw, 5 miles WNW of Barnstaple r. station; is a considerable place, with several streets and many shops; and has a post office‡ under Barnstaple. It was originally called Branockstown; and took that name from St. Branock, a prince of Calabria, who came hither in the year 300 as a missionary. The parish comprises 10,473 acres of land, and 1,510 of water. Real property, £11,236. Pop., 2,168. Houses, 472. The property is much subdivided. There are several manors; and one of them belonged, in Edward the Confessor’s time, to the Crown, and was afterwards given to St. Peter’s, Exeter. St. Branock’s House, at the upper end of the villa, Franklin’s Cottage, at a short distance thence, and a number of other places command magnificent views. An extensive tract between the village and the sea, called Braunton Field, is noted for fertility. A tract of drift sand on the coast, called Braunton Burro’s. has witnessed many shipwrecks; and possesses two lighthouses 933 feet apart, erected in 1820, with fixed lights 86 and 40 feet high, for directing vessels over Bideford bar. An ancient chapel, called St. Ann’s, is embedded in the burrows; and remains of another, ascribed to St. Branock, crown a neighbouring hill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value. £450. Patron, the Bishop of Exeter. The church is early English, in a jumbled condition; and was proposed to be restored in 1869. There are chapels for Independents and Methodists. A school has £75 from endowment; and other charities £23. Richard Knill, the missionary, was a native. The subdistrict is in the district of Barnstaple, and contains seven parishes. Acres, 31,469. Pop., 6,957. Houses, 1,476. The hundred contains twenty parishes. Acres, 71,452. Pop., 14,786. Houses, 3,108.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Braunton. 4 miles W. Barnstaple. P. 2274

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Pippacott

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Pippacott, a hamlet in Braunton parish, Devon; 5 miles WNW of Barnstaple.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free

FamilySearch Catalog

Census

Census returns for Braunton, 1841-1891

Church Records

Births and baptisms, 1818-1837 Author: Independent Church (Braunton)

Braunton baptisms 1813-1839 Author: Devon Family History Society

Braunton burial registers, 1813-1837 Author: Devon Family History Society

Braunton marriage registers, 1813-1837 Author: Devon Family History Society

England, Devon, Braunton, bishop’s transcripts, 1597-1856 Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Braunton (Devonshire); Devon Record Office (Exeter)

England, Devon, Braunton, parish registers, 1538-1916 Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Braunton (Devonshire); Devon Record Office (Exeter)

Parish register transcripts, 1538-1812 Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Braunton (Devonshire)

Indexes

Parish register printouts of Braunton, Devon, England (Independent Church) ; christenings, 1808-1837 Author: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Genealogical Department

Parish register printouts of Braunton, Devon, England ; christenings, 1538-1812 Author: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Genealogical Department

Parish register printouts of Braunton, Devon, England ; marriages, 1538-1812 Author: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Genealogical Department

Taxation

Land tax assessment for Braunton, 1780-1832 Author: Great Britain. Court of Quarter Sessions of the Peace (Devonshire)

Land tax assessment of Braunton, 1798

Historical Newspapers

Barnstaple Times and North Devon News

Western Morning News

Western Times

Exeter and Plymouth Gazette

North Devon Journal

Express and Echo

Maps

A Map of Braunton in 1840: Sheet 4 of the Devon in 1840 Series by Martin Ebdon

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

  • County: Devon
  • Civil Registration District: Barnstaple
  • Probate Court: Court of the Peculiars of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter
  • Diocese: Exeter
  • Rural Deanery: Pre-1848 – None, Post-1847 – Shirwell
  • Poor Law Union: Barnstaple
  • Hundred: Braunton
  • Province: Canterbury

Further Reading

Braunton & Around Through Time

Around Braunton (Archive Photographs)

The Book of Braunton: Devon’s Largest Village by Avril Stone (2014-10-13)

The Braunton Boys Who Went to War by Frank Raymond Copper

Accident, Fire and Flood: Reports of accidents, fires and floods which happened in Braunton and were reported in the North Devon Journal 1850-1914.

Braunton

Braunton Shipwrecks

Find a copy

[content-egg-block template=offers_list]