Abbotskerswell is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Alternative names: Abbott’s Kerswell, or Abbott’s Carswell
Parish registers begin: 1607
Nonconformists include: Baptist and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Abbotskerswell
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ABBOTS-KERSWELL, or Abbots-Carswell, a parish in Newton-Abbot district, Devon; on the South Devon railway, 2 miles south of Newton-Abbot. Post town, Newton-Abbot. Acres, 1,461. Real property, £3,043. Pop. 437. Houses, 106. The property is much divided. The minerals comprise limestone, coal, potter’s clay, and alum. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £293. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The ancient church was a cell of Montacute Abbey. The present church is a neat small edifice of nave, chancel, and aisles, with a square tower. There are two small dissenting chapels, Baptist and Wesleyan.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Abbots-Kerswell, 2 m. S. Newton-Abbots. P. 433
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
Abbots-Kerswell, a parish in the hund. of Haytor, union of Newton-Abbots, Devonshire; 1½ mile south from Newton-Abbots. Living, a vicarage in the archd. of Totness and dio. of Exeter; rated at £11 1s. 3d.; gross income £278. Patron, the crown, Pop., in 1801, 389; in 1831, 442. Houses 93. Acres 1,670. A. P. £2,902. Poor rates, in 1837, £160. “A small monastery of Cluniac monks, for which reason it has been sometimes reckoned among the alien priories, but it was only a cell to Montacute in Somersetshire, a house of that order, and as parcel of its possessions, was granted to John Etherege, 38° Henry VIII.”— Tanner’s ‘Notitia Monastica.’
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
A Topographical Dictionary of the United Kingdom 1808
Abbott’s Kerswell, or Abbott’s-Carswell, a parish in the hundred of Haytor, Devonshire, 1½ mile from Newton-Abbotts, and 188 ½ from London, near Torbay; is a vicarage, value 11l. 1s. 3d.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of the United Kingdom. Benjamin Pitts Capper. 1808.
Records of people from Abbotskerswell are available on the following sites:
- Census & Voter Lists
- Birth, Marriage & Death
- Immigration & Emigration
- Directories & Member Lists
- Court, Land, Wills & Financial
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Western Morning News
Exeter and Plymouth Gazette
Express and Echo
Torbay Express and South Devon Echo
Torquay Directory and South Devon Journal
Torquay Times, and South Devon Advertiser
- County: Devon
- Civil Registration District: Newton Abbot
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Totnes
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Ipplepen
- Poor Law Union: Newton Abbot
- Hundred: Haytor
- Province: Canterbury