Abbot’s Morton is a parish and scattered village, pleasantly situated 12 miles E. of Worcester, on the road from that city to Alcester, and contained in 1851 a population of 235 inhabitants.
This parish derived its name from the Abbots of Evesham Monastery having selected this spot for one of their residences. In the reign of William the Conqueror, Ranulph, Abbot of Evesham, resided here. The site of some ancient buildings near the church, with races of the moat, which originally surrounded them, and gable-ended buildings of timber frame-work, still remain. By references to ancient history, we find that the church of Abbot’s Morton was given, with others, to build the monastery at Evesham, by Kenred, King of Mercia, in the year 708. after the dissolution of religious houses, this estate, with others belonging to the monastery, became the property of Sir Philip Hoby, and afterwards passed to various persons by purchase.
The Church, dedicated to St. Peter, consists of nave, chancel, north chapel, and western tower, with embattlements, pinnacles, and diagonal buttresses. The eastern chancel window is a fine specimen of stained glass, containing scriptural devices. The church is in the decorated style, but possesses little of historical or antiquarian interest. The living is a Rectory, in the patronage of George J. A. Walker, Esq. Rev. Thomas Walker, M.A., Rector; Rev. Alfred West, Curate; Mr. William Harris, sen., Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 2 30 p.m.
The National School was erected in 1845, by subscription, the site being given by the Rector, and is principally supported by that gentleman. It is under Government inspection. Miss Isabella Bonaker, Mistress. Average number of children, 60.
Walker Rev. Thomas, M.A., Rector, Rectory
West Rev. Alfred, Curate
Briney Thomas, farmer
Briney Thomas, jun., shopkeeper and baker
Cowley William, farmer
Cowley William R., farmer
Farr Henry, farmer
Garfield John, blacksmith
Garfield Richard, carpenter
Harris Reuben, farmer, Parsonage
Harris William, sen., Parish Clerk
Harris William, jun., farmer, baker, shoe maker, and shopkeeper
Hay William, butcher
Partington Thomas, Overseer and Collector of Taxes
Perks Thomas, farmer
Skinner William, Bailiff to – Williams, Esq., The Low Farm
Wixon Thomas, victualler and tailor, Red Lion
Post Office – Miss Isabella Bonaker, Sub-Postmistress. Arrival, 10 30 a.m.; despatch, 3 p.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855