Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq.
Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.
Ludlow Polling District
Abdon, Parish of
2220 Bradley George, see 1457
2221 Bradley William, see 1825
2222 Childs John
2223 Hitchens James
2224 Sheppard John Lancelot
Abdon. A parish in the lower division of the hundred of Munslow. A rectory discharged, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Wenlock, and archdeaconry of Salop. 31 houses, 157 inhabitants. 10 miles south-west of Bridgnorth.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Abdon (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union of Ludlow, hundred of Munslow, S. division of Salop, 12 miles (S.W. by W.) from Bridgenorth; containing 155 inhabitants. It comprises upwards of 1100 acres, of which about 190 are arable, 664 meadow and pasture, and 260 waste land; the surface is very irregular, and the soil strong red clay in the higher grounds, with a sheep-walk, having much gorse and fern; the lower grounds are more favourable to agriculture. A few pits on the hill yield an inferior coal, much of which is used in lime-works; formerly there were several iron forges in the neighbourhood. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king’s book at £3 6. 8.; patron, Hon. S. Herbert; net income, £147, arising from tithes and a small estate, with 49 acres of glebe, of which 22 are in the parish of Stoke St. Milborough. The church is a rude structure, with walls of great thickness, and much of it appears to have been rebuilt about 150 or 200 years ago; in the chancel is a window in the decorated style. Abdon Burf, on the summit of Brown Clee hill, is a remarkable oval inclosure of basalt stones, evidently British; the area measures from north to South 1317 feet, and at its widest point from east to west it is 660 feet; and huge blocks of stone are scattered within it, of which several are arranged in circles.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Abdon, a parish in the hundred of Munslow. Salop, 10 miles from Ludlow, and 144 from London; containing only 25 houses and 134 inhabitants. Is a rectory, value 3l. 6s. 8d.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of the United Kingdom. Benjamin Pitts Capper. 1808.